West Virginia vs. William & Mary 8.31.13
In a less-than-optimal launch to the 2013 season, West Virginia squeaked out a victory against FCS opponent William and Mary 24-17. The weakest bullet point in 2012, the Mountaineer defense, proved to be the difference maker despite giving up the lead in the first half of the game.
What I noticed:
- Karl Joseph still hits people. Hard.
- Pay attention to KJ Dillon... predicting him to be the Mountaineers' breakout player on defense.
- Will Clarke was moving laterally as well as any linebacker on the team.
- Defense lacked penetration against an inferior line.
- Offense allowed too much penetration against an inferior line.
- Charles Sims is a future pro, and will look like Marshall Faulk in Dana Holgorsen's offense.
- Despite a pretty solid game, you get the feeling Dana is still waiting for the team's true QB to stand up. Not sure who the leaders are when WVU has the ball right now.